Friday, September 11, 2009

Punk-rocking Drag Queens

So,

What a trippy Thur night/morning. I decided to check out the club that DJ woman promised would be so edgy (you'd have to go back two Mondays for a recap of that conversastion), Bassy Cowboy Club (ok, what a stupid friggin name if ever there was one). Anyway, I arrived promptly at 1:15 or thereabouts (just missed the last train, remember, they stop running at 1:00, that would have deposited me pretty much in front of the club and, instead, ended up completing the first stretch of what would later be a much, much longer walk) and walked up to the door. Didn't look too too edgy to me from the outside, but, hey? What do I know, I might as well be a farmer for all the Berliners know about Cincinnati or its geography in the U.S. Anywho, I walked in and first noticed the mix of ages present (i.e., too many old guys with saggy faces). I did try to strike up a conversation with a couple guys, but these went nowhere. It did seem like there were a number of rent-boys as well as a lot of people sniffling while exiting the toilet. The music was cool if not exactly inspired (is there such a thing anymore "inspiring music" or am I just dreaming of a music that never was as cool as I recall?). Then came the punk drag queens.

First of all, the MC took the mike and began singing/rapping/talking along with the track the DJ was playing. I was like, "hey, that's hot!" Then the MC woman drag person introduced our act for the night. A punk group from like Holland or something. They sang in English, but I still didn't really understand them. They wore drag minus the. The guys in drag without makeup? This was not itself a first. That they then proceded to drop some serious punk sounds, however, was a first and probably last. I mean seriously, ask my friends? I generally hate drag shows and generally consider the performers to be singularly without talent. Imagine my surprise, therefore, when these lads (though dressed like lasses........................kindof) started bringin the house down. It was crazy and most definitely a first. Berlin hasn't necessarily offered that many firsts for me; however, hard punk, non-feminine-makeup-wearing drag queens, was certainly one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment